Morning Show slide

whatsup slide

Who You Hear..... When You Listen

  • madonna.jpg
  • 61xOulS2ejL.jpg
  • gabby.jpg
  • 513H5ljrLXL.jpg
  • buju.jpg
  • celine.jpg
  • steel.jpg
  • ws.jpg
  • mariah.jpg
  • Richard_Stoute.jpg
  • lionel.jpg
  • rihanna.jpg
  • toni.jpg
  • biim.jpg
  • Anita+Baker.jpg
  • l.l.coolj-ineedlove.jpg
  • mb.jpg
  • stevie.jpg
  • 51PJ3+dWq6L.jpg
  • mj.jpg
  • dance classics2.jpg
  • bob.jpg
  • prince.jpg
  • Edwin-Yearwood.jpeg
  • 120349_1_f.jpg
  • WhitneyHouston.jpg
  • shaggy.jpg
  • VanessaWilliams.jpg

Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon are reportedly back together. Rumor has it, the "All I Want for Christmas Is You" hitmaker is currently dating the former "America's Got Talent" host and they are ready to remarry. 

According to sources, Mariah and Nick were spotted chatting together over dessert at West Hollywood's Au Fudge on Saturday, April 22. "They were laughing and joking around," a source tells Life & Style, "They arrived separately, but wound up leaving together." 

The couple is giving their romance a second chance after Mariah dumped her toyboy Bryan Tanaka. While Mariah was engaged to James Packer prior to her relationship with Bryan, she always comes back to Nick. 

"They feel like they belong together," the source continues, "Mariah wants to get married again, and thinks Nick is the one." 

Mariah and Nick have been committed to co-parenting despite their divorce. "We really do feel we are soulmates," the "We Belong Together" hitmaker previously said of her relationship with her ex-husband. "I never felt a love like this was in the cards for me. I was always so career-oriented. I would hope and pray for my friends to find love, but I never did that for myself. And then? Everything just fell into place!" 

 

Now that she’s given birth to a beautiful baby boy, Janet Jackson has every intention of being a working mom — she announced in a Twitter video posted May 1 that she’ll resume the tour she put on hiatus a year ago.

In “a special message,” Janet sadly confirmed that she is in the thick of divorce proceedings with Wissam Al Mana, but said her separation’s silver lining is that she’ll resume the Unbreakable Tour on September 7. Jackson originally put the tour on hold in April 2016 in an effort to start a family.

“I just wanna keep it real with you guys for a second: yes, I separated from my husband, we are in court and the rest is in god’s hands,” she said. “Now for that something else: I’m continuing my tour as promised. I’m so excited, you guys. So excited.”

Jackson said the series of shows will now be called the State of the World tour, though performances will not be as politically charged as the name might suggest.

“It’s not about politics, it’s about people, the world, relationships and just love,” she said. “I wanna thank you guys for your patience, for all of your support throughout the years, thank you so much.”

And no, she can’t get enough of her beautiful son.

“I thank God for him, you guys,” she said. “He’s so healthy, so beautiful, so sweet, so loving, such a happy baby.”

 

Roston Chase's second Test hundred and fine support from captain Jason Holder in a record unbroken partnership lifted the West Indies to 286 for six at stumps on the opening day of the second Test against Pakistan at Kensington Oval in on Sunday.

 

Called upon to repair yet another debacle at the top of the order after Holder chose to bat first, Chase's unbeaten 131 was characterised by calm assurance and elegant strokeplay after he came to the crease at 37 for three.

 

Even if he lived a bit dangerously, the skipper also played positively and will resume on the second day alongside Chase on 58, their partnership so far worth 132 runs and establishing a new record for the seventh wicket in Tests for the West Indies against Pakistan.

Chase has so far faced 207 deliveries in five hours at the crease, stroking 17 fours while Holder's innings has occupied 125 deliveries over three-and-a-half hours with eight fours decorating his knock.

On a surface offering very little assistance to the faster bowlers, the Caribbean team still managed to slip to 154 for six in mid-afternoon and at that stage it looked as if the tourists would have been well into their reply by the end of the day.

Opening bowlers Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Abbas claimed a wicket apiece in each of the first two sessions while Shadab Khan, selected for a Test debut in support of senior leg-spinner Yasir Shah, earned his first success in the shape of Shane Dowrich after Shah had accounted for Shai Hope.

Amir was the first to strike for Pakistan at the start of the day against a batting line-up surprisingly unchanged from the seven-wicket defeat in Jamaica.

Kraigg Brathwaite enjoyed a moment of good fortune when he was dropped at short extra-cover off Amir.

However the lapse did not prove costly for the visitors as Amir took the outside edge of the opener's bat in the same over to give a straightforward catch to wicketkeeper Sarfraz Ahmed.

Shimron Hetmyer, one of two batting debutants from a week earlier, faced just three deliveries before driving loosely at Abbas for Azhar Ali to take a sharp catch head-high at third slip.

Hope's struggle for runs continued when he was caught at the wicket off Shah, the leg-spinner extracting sharp turn off the first-day pitch and appearing to justify Pakistan's decision to give a debut to Shadab at the expense of their fastest bowler, Wahab Riaz.

Kieran Powell, who batted through the morning session, departed on the resumption after lunch.

An lbw appeal off Amir with the batsman on 38 was ruled not out by on-field official Richard Kettleborough only to be overturned on review of the television replays.

Vishaul Singh's miserable start to his Test career continued with a low catch to Younis Khan at second slip off Abbas and Younis' secure pair of hands were again in evidence when Dowrich, on 29, pushed at a full length delivery from Shadab and the veteran made no mistake.

The National Disaster Management Agency is monitoring an increase in activities taking place at Kick 'em Jenny, the region's only submarine volcano located between Grenada and the Grenadine island of Carriacou.In a release early Sunday, the disaster agency said it has been advised of the increase in activity by the Seismic Research Centre (SRC) of the University of the West Indies (UWI).

 

“The UWI/SRC recorded a high amplitude signal, lasting about 25 seconds, on one of the Grenada stations. The signal was also recorded on a station in Montserrat. This signal follows an increase in the number of background events associated with the Kick-'em-Jenny volcano,” said the release which confirmed that persons in the St Patrick's area have reported feeling tremors.”

 

As a result, the alert level is now on yellow and sea users and ships have been warned to stay away from vicinity of the submarine volcano.

 

“In light of the ongoing we are advising all sea users that the 5km (3.1 miles) exclusion zone of Kick 'em Jenny be strictly observed. The SRC has advised that heightened alert is necessary for the exclusion zone,” the release added.

 

A yellow alert means the volcano is restless; seismicity and/or fumarolic activity are above the historical level or other unusual activity has been observed or can be expected without warning.

It's been 25 years since the Los Angeles riots, an event already marked by numerous TV specials, with more to come. Yet one relatively under-covered aspect of the unrest is the role TV and video played -- and the jarring realization, played out in multiple cases since, that seeing wasn't always believing.

The riots that began on April 29, 1992 preceded the ubiquity of cellphone video and the expansion of 24-hour cable news (only CNN existed at the time). In some respects, though, the coverage previewed the age of viral video, which has magnified the sense of injustice surrounding more recent scenarios of young African-American men killed by the police.

A quarter-century ago, the African-American community had long cited abuse faced at the hands of the Los Angeles Police Department, which, under then-chief Daryl Gates, operated like a paramilitary organization.

The advent of video cameras, however, made documenting such excesses more possible. In the riots' precipitating incident, that was the 1991 beating of motorist Rodney King by what looked to be a group of out-of-control officers, captured by a nearby resident.

"This video camera revolution, finally, they got it," recalled one community member in the Showtime documentary "Burn Mother----er Burn!" Smithsonian Channel's "The Lost Tapes: LA Riots" describes the King beating as "one of the first viral videos."

Television played those images again and again, raising expectations of guilty verdicts. The community's anger was further stoked by widely seen surveillance video of 15-year-old Latasha Harlins being shot to death by a store owner, who was convicted but given probation as a sentence.

The officers' acquittal in the King beating by a predominantly white jury produced "a kind of spontaneous combustion," as civil rights activist Jesse Jackson said at the time.

Perhaps foremost, though, the shock stemmed from the fact that even confronted by seemingly irrefutable video evidence, African-Americans couldn't expect protection from the justice system.

"Today, this jury told the world that what we all saw with our own eyes wasn't a crime," said then-Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley.

Similarly, the Rev. Cecil Murray called the verdict "a brutalization of truth ... whitewashing something that the whole world has witnessed."

In the years since, the ability to document and distribute perceived police abuses has grown. Not only does practically everyone now walk around with a camera, but many have the ability to disseminate live video -- as seen last July, when Diamond Reynolds used Facebook Live to live-stream the aftermath of a Minnesota police officer shooting her boyfriend, Philando Castile.

One recurring argument in response to these caught-on-tape events is that a snippet of video doesn't always tell the entire story. Those defending the police have seized on details regarding how people behaved in the off-camera build-up to fatal encounters that have often proven persuasive to juries, as well as those inclined to support the police in the court of public opinion.

If there's a welcome aspect to the glut of made-for-TV Los Angeles Riots anniversary projects, it's bringing a wider context to what happened.

In "LA 92," airing Sunday on National Geographic Channel, that includes going back to the Watts Riots in the mid-1960s, and the conditions that persisted after. The same goes for ABC's "Let it Fall: Los Angeles 1982-1992," getting past the tendency -- in the real-time landscape of cable, the web and social media -- to zero in on a tragedy and just as quickly move on.

"It wasn't just one night. It wasn't just one thing," "Let it Fall" director John Ridley told ABC Radio. "It was something that built up over time."

The tools for chronicling such events have become more instantaneous -- and thus potentially more volatile. The unsettling corollary of that is the gap between what is seen and believed -- filtered through today's age of media divided into ideological silos -- has, seemingly, only grown wider.

 

DMX is getting help at a rehab facility on the heels of postponing concert dates.

Sources connected with DMX say he checked himself in Thursday night at a treatment center in Southern California. X went voluntarily, but his manager, Pat Gallo, and ex-wife, Tashera Simmons, had encouraged the move.

The rapper has been to rehab before while battling substance abuse issues for years.

As we first reported, X had to cancel 3 shows this week due to what his rep called a "medical emergency." He flew to Cali to get help because he felt he was "moving to a dark place" and wanted to make sure he stayed on the right path.

Sources at DMX's show in Brooklyn last week say he was drinking heavily beforehand.

In a statement, Gallo apologized to X's fans for the postponed shows, and says, "It is important right now that he take some time off to focus on his health so that he can be a better father, friend and entertainer."

He added, "We are eternally grateful for the outpouring of concern and support that has poured in. We ask that you please keep X in your prayers as he embraces your support."

 

Another classic sitcom is getting a revival. According to The Hollywood Reporter, an 8-episode revival of "Roseanne" which originally ran on ABC from 1988 to 1997 is now in development. The project is being shopped around and Netflix is among the suitors. 

 

Roseanne Barr, the creator and lead star of the original show about a working-class family in Illinois, is set to return for the upcoming revamped series. Her original co-stars John Goodman and Sara Gilbert are expected to reprise their roles as well. 

 

"Roseanne" follows a slew of TV revivals which became a trend in the past years. "The X-Files" , "Will & Grace", "Twin Peaks", "Prison Break", "Full House", "Heroes", "Gilmore Girls", "That's So Raven" and "Wet Hot American Summer" are among them. 

 

A 101-year-old woman has taken out gold in the 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland.

Man Kaur from India proved age is no barrier as she crossed the line in one minute and 14 seconds - a mere 64 seconds off Usain Bolt's 100m world record set in 2009.

And there is no end in sight for the 101-year-old who plans to compete in the event next year.

'I enjoyed it and am very, very happy,' she told reporters after the race on Monday.  

'I'm going to run again, I'm not going to give up. I will participate, there's no full stop.'

Although Kaur was the only participant in the 100-years-and-over category, the Masters Games has attracted 25,000 competitors.

Kaur only took up athletics eight years ago, at the tender age of 93.

She had no prior sporting experience before her son suggested she join him in competing on the international masters games circuit.

After a medical check-up she was given the all-clear and since then mother and son have taken part in dozens of masters athletics meets around the globe.  

Her son told said Kaur was on a strict diet that included wheat grass juice and a daily glass of kefir (fermented milk) in preparation for the games. 

World Masters Games 2017 chief executive Jennah Wootten said the Auckland organisers were delighted to host such an inspiration.

'Man Kaur truly personifies the 'sport for all' philosophy which World Masters Games is all about and we are thrilled to have her here,' she said.

'I have no doubt that she and many of the other 24,905 athletes competing in these games are inspiring others to lead more active lifestyles and take up a sport.'

 

Serena set off frenzied excitement and speculation when she suddenly announced on Snapchat that she's 20 weeks pregnant, last week.

And she revealed on Tuesday that she shared her happy news by mistake. 

The star was speaking to Gayle King at a Ted Talks in Vancouver when she revealed that she had intended the photo in a yellow one-piece swimsuit - with the caption '20 weeks' - to be a private photo - but she accidentally posted it to the world.

The tennis number one said: 'I was on vacation, taking time for myself, and I have this thing where I've been checking my status and taking a picture every week.

'I've been just saving it, but you know how social media is — you press the wrong button and…

'My phone doesn't ring that much, and thirty minutes later, I'd missed four calls. So I picked it up and realized, 'Oh no.''

Williams said she had intended to disclose the information publicly 5 or 6 days later.

Serena now appears to have embraced sharing the news on social media, but was certainly trying to put fans off the scent only a week ago. 

She posted a picture of Kelly Rowland's new book for new mums, and captioned: ' So proud of you @kellyrowland. Ok so this book Kelly wrote is a guide for new moms. 

'One of these days I hope to apply this (but for now I'll stick to my dog Chip). The introduction is hilarious and had me hooked from the first word! Congrats my friend! #whoababy,' despite being 19 or 20 weeks down the line.  

Serena returned to the top of the WTA world rankings on Monday and immediately shared the news with her unborn baby.

The American, who is skipping the rest of the year after announcing last week that she was pregnant, took to social media to offer her first public thoughts on impending motherhood.

'My Dearest Baby, You gave me the strength I didn't know I had. You taught me the true meaning of serenity and peace,' the 35-year-old who owns 23 grand slam titles, said on Instagram. 

'I can't wait to meet you. I can't wait for you to join the players box next year,' she continues.

'But most importantly, I am so happy to share being number one in the world with you... once again today. From the world's oldest number one to the world's youngest number one. - Your Mommy.' 

The champ is currently on a romantic holiday with her fiance, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, in Mexico.

She also SnapChatted a picture of herself Googling her name - and the rankings appearing. 

'I wonder if this is a first?' she wrote. 

 

Former world number one Maria Sharapova will find out on 16 May if she has been given a wildcard for the French Open.

The 30-year-old Russian's 15-month ban for using meldonium ends on Wednesday when she plays in the first round of the Stuttgart Open as a wildcard entry.

French federation president Bernard Giudicelli said he would call Sharapova before the decision is made public on Facebook at 18:00 BST.

Sharapova is a two-time winner at Roland Garros, which starts on 28 May.

Giudicelli, who said he will discuss Sharapova's wildcard with French Open tournament director Guy Forget on 15 May, added: "The tournament is bigger than the players."

The five-time Grand Slam champion practised on Wednesday morning for the first time since her ban, before her match against Italy's Roberta Vinci.

Vinci has questioned the decision to give the Russian wildcards, but it has been defended by WTA chief Steve Simon, who said it is in keeping with how former dopers are treated in other sports.

In addition to Stuttgart, Sharapova has been granted wildcards by the organisers of the events in Madrid and Rome.

She does not have a world ranking after her points expired during her suspension and would need to reach the final in Stuttgart to be eligible for French Open qualifying.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Sharapova is likely to be given a wildcard into qualifying at Roland Garros rather than the tournament's main draw.

Meanwhile, the prize money for the French Open has been increased by 12% to 36 millions euros (£30.5m).

The winners will win 2.1 million euros each, a 100,000-euro increase from 2016, with first-round losers earning 35,000 euros.

 

Page 9 of 102

Listen Again

Weather

94 ON FACEBOOK

Advertisements